This dish is another of my successful ‘recreate it at home’ recipes. I absolutely love this dish, as it’s quick, cheap and soo full of FLAVOUR!
Minced chicken is stir fired with green beans, red chilli, garlic and shallots with a sticky, savoury sauce and served with sticky rice and bubble-fried egg.
Cook this dish to shake up your usual stirfry and impress your guests in no time!
Recipe (serves 2)
3 tbsp vegetable oil (1 tbsp for the stir fry, 2tbsp for the egg)
2 Chicken breasts, minced
1 pack/220g green beans, cut into 2cm pieces
2 shallots or 1 small red onion, finely sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 red chillies, with seeds, sliced into rounds
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
Big bunch/30g of Basil – Thai basil if you can get hold of it!
150g Thai Jasmine rice
1 tsp salt
Start by getting your rice cooking as the stir fry will cook in no time at all.
- Wash your rice well in a sieve.
- Heat up a saucepan which has a lid, add 1 tsp of the oil and add in the rice.
- Cook until the rice is coated in the oil, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add enough boiling water to cover by 1 cm above the rice. Put onto the lowest heat you can, cover the pan with a piece of kitchen towel and pop the lid on. Do not remove the lid at all! Set a timer for 20 minutes, and once 20 minutes is up, leave to steam in its own heat for another 10 minutes.
Whilst the rice is cooking, prepare the chicken. You can buy minced chicken, but this isn’t always available in your general supermarket, so I tend to buy free-range chicken breasts and chop them finely, then getting a large clever, chop until minced well.
- Heat up a wok or large frying pan, then add 1 tbsp of the oil.
- Add the shallots, garlic and chillies and fry until softened, but be careful not to burn – around 30 seconds
- Add in the minced chicken and stir fry again until brown
- Add in the green beans, oyster sauce, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and the sugar
- Cook until deep, thick and sticky
- Add in the basil and let this wilt in the sauce
- Get the rice out of the pan by forking it to fluff up and then spoon into some ramekins. Tip these out onto your serving plates to create perfect mounds.
- Serve the chicken on the side
Before you serve, quickly fry some eggs in the wok/frying pan. I call these ‘bubble eggs’ as using a very hot pan and some hot oil, the egg whites puff up and bubble, creating a delicious crispy outside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in the wok until very hot, no need to clean as it will add flavour to your eggs – and will leave less mess!
- Crack your eggs into the oil and leave to bubble. Once brown and crispy and the yolk is still runny, they are done.
Serve the eggs on rice, alongside the stir fry and enjoy!